Week 11: A heart, a bash, a start, and some cash

Two quick notes before I go on:

– I’ve setup the site so you can now email and print individual posts from the site. I’m trying to get ahead of the curve even though nobody has yet to request it, and I’m not sure anybody without the last name Bentley reads this stuff. ;)

– I forgot to share last week’s celeb sighting. While waiting in the security line at LAX last Sunday, I noticed the young guy behind me frantically searching his pockets for his cell phone. When he finally found it, his desperately hushed conversation went like this:

“Honey? honey? You’re never going to believe this. Billy Dee Williams is walking right towards me….Billy Dee…Lando! Lando!…..Lando Calrissian!….He was in “Empire Strikes Back”….holy cow, this is huge….Billy Dee…(she obviously doesn’t know or care who Billy Dee is). He played Gale Sayers….Billy Dee….Lando…Gayle Sayers. Uh huh. Ok. Don’t forget to put the garage door down.”

At this point, I quit listening for 2 reasons:

1. His choice of using 1971’s “Brian’s Song” as the go-to option from “Empire Strikes Back” doesn’t make much sense. That’s like saying “You don’t remember Leonardo DiCaprio being in “Titanic”? Come on, he was in “Critters 3″.” (check IMDB.com).

2. “Billy Dee” was actually a badge wearing LAX employee bearing a very slight resemblance going through the clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY security line.

Ok, on with week 11’s highlights…..

Last Thursday, my grandmother was admitted to hospital with what was diagnosed as blood clot in one of her lungs. This is a good news/bad news situation – bad news the clot is there, the good news is that it was discovered at a very treatable stage. They’ll treat it with medications and she’s going to move to rehab tomorrow so she can regain some strength and all appears to be well.

Friday was my birthday, and my driver organized a birthday party at the house Friday night. She went all out with Freebird’s catering in burritos, a birthday cake with my picture on it, and karaoke. I had a great time and I appreciated the effort my driver put out to make the party happen and it was really nice to see so many friends. Thank you again to everyone for coming out for the party.

I decided to treat myself and purchase first class upgrades for the flights this weekend and I have to say it was a nice treat. I read Jon Stewart’s “Naked Pictures of Famous People” on the flight out and it’s funny stuff. After landing Saturday night, I spent some time tooling around the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. I wasn’t able to fall asleep until 12:45 am, LA time. This is where the days start to run together.

I spent some time Sunday morning catching up with my host, Page, and then took off for class. Class was more character work and prepping for our first show. A group of us went across the street for some “mexican” food before returning for out 5:30 show. For being a first show, I’m happy with the turnout. Thanks to Joel who taped the show for me. I’m going to try and get the necessary clearances from the rest of the class and see if I can possibly YouTube the show. Be warned, if the show isn’t funny then I’m not going to bother. (Update: the sound was not the best so I’m not posting it.)

I had to take the red-eye flight back, which meant leaving at 12:25 and arriving at 5:20. Fortunately, the first class seats are big and recline back pretty far and as soon as the plane was taking off, I was out for 2.5 hours. We landed in the new shiny D terminal, which is great and all, but I was parked in the C terminal and I was tired. So I didn’t get home until 6:00 am, took a quick nap then headed to work for what has been a very long day today.

My extended Sunday/rolling into Monday marathon was punctuated by a terrible WWE RAW show tonight. My friend John wanted to go so Page got us tickets and besides the banter between the two of us, the only highlight was when cash was dropped from rafters during a boring Donald Trump skit. Yes, actual legal tender. Not just 1’s, but 5’s, 10’s, 20’s and 100’s rained down on the crowd. I turned to John and pointed out the hysteria taking pace and pointed him to the floor where the organized rows had turned into a sea of money grubbing humanity. Nice.

There you have it. 5 days of stuff crammed into…5 days…but it felt like 3…..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For spam filtering purposes, please copy the number 9664 to the field below: